Thursday, October 22, 2009

Getting back into the groove...

(So, I'm listening to the new Seth Horan CD, Clang & Chime (as part of his team of producers, I got four copies...if you're nice, I may share!) Kickin' tunes, excellent vocals and bass chops!

Still hoping to do Berklee Online at some point in the next 18 months...may have to fix my daughter's teeth first though...in the meantime, the pursuit of musical excellence continues!

Getting back into the groove, students are back, and this year they're all doing really well for the most part. So the question is, how do I keep MYSELF excited and into the groove? Without a steady gig/creative outlet, what to do?

Well teaching guitar and bass in itself helps. As a mostly self taught musician, going through the theory and practical aspects, disciplining myself to teach proper techniques is good in and of itself. Plus, gotta keep ahead of them! So I'm throwing myself into Norm Stockton's Grooving for Heaven Video series, it's great material...learning not only theoretical and practical techniques, but also healthier, ergonomic ways to play.

Also, going back to the other instruments I've learned, and looking at picking up new ones! I pulled out the acoustic and played and sang before a student arrived earlier this week, and something just clicked. Later that night, I pulled the keyboard out (I'd put it away after the reno thinking it takes up a bit of space and I don't use it that much, so I'd just pull it out and use it as needed) and set that back up, played some gospel tunes on that...love the slash chords and shots...and yeh, that's going to improve my skills not only as a bass player, but as a musician, composer, arranger, and producer as well...

...anddddd....we're back! Had to run my daughter to the E.R., bruised bone in her foot, no fracture thank goodness...so I'm picking up my train of thought roughly 4 hours after I started this...


...and so yeh, feeling a little more inspired! Listening to lots of stuff...jamming with lotsa folks when the opportunity for rise (again, no steady gig right now, so I'm available for hire yo!)...just soaking up as much as I can musically and having as much fun in life as better...all about getting into the groove...and getting to the point where I'm the best musician I can be! Word!



----------------
Now playing: Seth Horan - So Sorry
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment