Sunday, January 11, 2009

The First "Sermon": An Introduction

And so it begins. The new blog. I haven't really blogged in over two years. My son was sick in the fall of '07, and I posted some nasty notes on Facebook about this nurse who tried to deny him health care, but we won't count that.

So, what's the purpose of my blog? Well, my wife thought it would be a good idea...seriously, I need another creative outlet, and I used to be a fairly decent writer, so voila, here we are with Rev. Groove's blog!

Okay, so first of all, I'm NOT an ordained minister. I did have a local minister's license when I thought it was my path to follow and be a full time youth pastor, but it wasn't to be, and I moved on. There's the whole concept, philsophy or theology of all believers being priests jointly, but I want to make it absolutely clear that I'm not a minister or pastor in the common place use of the term, right?

The "RevGroove" handle comes from what I do on the bass; groove. I love playing the bass...I don't get time outside of gigs and church to play nearly enough. THAT'S going to change this week...but that's a different blog. My main joy in playing bass is when I'm with a good drummer and/or rhythm section, just laying it down in the pocket. I don't play a lot of flashy arpeggios, I'm not a virtuoso, I just like to groove. Those are skills that I aspire to, but the most important thing to me, playing the bass guitar, is the groove...

...I'm reading "The Music Lesson: A Spiritual Search For Growth Through Music" by Vic Wooten, one of the great virtuosos on bass. It's really re-inforcing the importance of the groove. When I'm finished, I'll devote a whole blog to a review most likely.

So, I'm going to log off for now...I have a lot to do. Starting the scratch tracks for my demo (the aforementioned source material for a future blog), PLUS I need to lay tracks for a project my brother-in-law is working on (much fun!) and prepare to leave for a gig in Montreal on Friday sometime.

But no worries...I'll be back soon...



----------------
Now playing: J Moss - Operator (Album Version)
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

  1. Nice!
    May I suggest putting a "." in Rev. I was a little confused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the "Rev. Groove" - wish I'd thought of it :)

    ReplyDelete