Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Writer's Block

Yup, the big WB. I'm supposed to be composing tunes for my debut music project, and I've got two ideas in mind, possibly a third....tracked one of them for a Leland Sklar tribute that isn't going to be used (I'm not bitter or upset about that, it's not right for the project...) and was supposed to track a second for another shot at it, but I have no desire suddenly to create.

Stress at work I think has something to do with it. It's the end of our year and I need to shave $2k more from overdue accounts...kids are sick...gotta take my oldest to the doctor's first thing in the morning...

...now, see, I should be able to take that stuff, and generate a GREAT album! Lots of material for some bluesy, soulful angst driven tracks! But I'm tired of that. I don't want to write anymore love songs...even though I'm married to the love of my life, it's no reflection on her...I'm just feeling "meh" about everything.

Decided too, not to buy or rent (unless it's specifically needed for a one-off gig) any new (or used/new to me) gear for at least this year, with the exception of rental buyouts...partially a financial thing, partially to discipline myself to learn chops rather than gear. The thing is...I LOVE gadgets, and the thought of not giving into G.A.S. (see previous blog) is kind of depressing...no G.A.S for a year? Hopefully there's some prototypes coming down the pipleline from Traynor to try out...

Heck, even this blog is a result of the 'block, I couldn't come up with anything to write, so I'm writing about that!

So, I have a bar mitzvah gig this weekend, first one in awhile. Haven't played the Playground material in some time, so when I'm done this, I'm going to familiarize myself with some of the more difficult tracks, though all of our stuff is jammed out. The Playground is my favourite gig, I'm hoping this weekend will spark some creative juices flowing.

Also, I need to see if I can put together a jam band for a local establishment on a weekly basis. Used to show up there and actually sat in as part of the houseband a couple of times before the gig got shut down. The owner is looking for another band a different night of the week...if I can find the right guys...well, the right front person to build a band around...then a great drummer to hook up with to get a tight rhythm section...a sick guitarist, who's capable of leavng his ego at the door...and hot damn, we have a jam band!

So yeh, I'll sign off before I start writing nonsense. It's 2 PM, I need to flip the laundry and run some tunes...love that the studio is semi-detached from the house...hopefully I'll have something more interesting to write next week, peace!



----------------
Now playing: All-Star Tribute - What's Going On
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment