Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Dealin' with the in-laws

So it's been a busy week, haven't had a chance to update the ole blog...first off, my oldest daughter hasn't been able to keep food down for over two weeks. Been to the doctor with her twice in that time, second time she was sent to the ER...STILL no results, we're supposed to go back on Friday for a follow up with the pediatrician...

...but this blog is about the in-laws. Now, I couldn't ask for in-laws that were better than what I have. Love them as if they were my own parents, and they've done a lot for us. My studio in the garage? Courtesy of my father-in-law. Stepping in to help out with childcare two days a week when our other arrangements fell through? There's Nana to save the day (and she makes a killer sandwich when I'm running late too!)

So, she's juggling a lot. Aside from helping us with our kids (ADHD daughter and son, toddler daughter, and the middle daughter trying to keep up and carve her niche and get her share of attention), she is the full time caregiver for HER own mother. Now, she's a piece of work. She plays the helpless victim, so dependent, everyone has to pay attention to her...if she isn't the centre of attention, she runs downstairs to her granny suite to sulk...

...so last week especially, she's been a big pain in the...you know...Mom is so stressed out from dealing with that, and with everything else going on, she ends up in the hospital with a heart attack, and several minor attacks since then. She'll have to have an angioplasty, and a bit of time to recover.

So the wife and I, we're looking for alternative childcare, but that's the least of our worries...but feel free to click on some links on the right hand side folks! Our main concern is how to create and maintain a stress free environment for Mom when she gets home.

Grandma is NOT co-operating. I tell you the truth readers, while Mom lies in bed, Grandma continues to stress her out. She has the nerve to complain that she doesn't know what's going on (not true, it's been explained to her MANY times), but she's upset that mom has "left her alone."

Umm...not by choice Grandma!

I'm extremely p.o.'d...if it was up to me, I'd go pack her things and deliver her tale to the retirement home IMMEDIATELY...while that is the best course of action (admittedly in my opinion), the general consensus is that it either needs to be Mom's idea, or the systems (Grandma has a nurse come by a couple of times a week, they can determine to move her if it's in her best interests.)

So, I invite you to engage in healthy CONSTRUCTIVE dialogue via the posting of your comments. When is the right time to make that difficult decision? It's hard, I know, and I'm not related to Grandma by blood, so maybe I'm a little detached...but I love my mother-in-law, and I'm tired of her being manipulated by my wretched grandmother in law, who is not as dotish as she would have people believe her to be...I mean, she's been dressing herself for the past 5 days, she "couldn't" when mom was home! Nuff said!

Now, I'm sure someone is going to say "When do you want your kids to pack you off to a retirement home?", to which I respond "NEVER!" I'll have a plan in place and a doctor I trust to let us know when it's time for me to have part and/or full time care.

So yeh, please share your thoughts! Am I off base? A cold, unfeeling rat? Let me know what you think, no worries!

Music content: I think my writer's block is starting to lift, I have some life experience to put to music...well, once I have time, after cooking, cleaning, and watching the kids while the better half is helping with her mom...which I don't begrudge...so I'll hopefully be finishing the demo for "The Breakdown", which was sent to a drummer buddy of mine to lay the good drum track, after which I'll re-track the bass and then lay an organ pad, and we'll post it here sometime soon!



----------------
Now playing: Orin Isaacs - Rock The Bass
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment